RELATED POST: OUR ‘END OF AMERICA’ INTERVIEW, WHO PARTICIPATED IN BECK’S SONG READER EXPERIMENTAL ALBUM
July 2 at the Days Off Festival in Paris, July 27 for one night only of the Americanarama traveling festival at Nikon at Jones Beach Theater in Wantagh NY, and July 28 at the Newport Folk Festival, Beck will be playing special acoustic sets with minimal accompaniment. In addition to acoustic renditions of some of Beck’s best loved classics, these very special performances will feature never before heard material from an upcoming acoustic record. The record can best be described as a self-contained work, one that came in the form of a burst of inspiration following the completion of last year’s groundbreaking Song Reader sheet music album.
Beck will continue his east coast run a few days later with an expanded band in tow for a pair of full-on large scale electric blow-outs taking place August 2 at Bank of America Pavilion in Boston and August 4 at the Prospect Park in Brooklyn. For these shows, fans can expect more of the fare that Beck and his veteran band delivered at show-stealing stops along last year’s festival circuit, including the set lauded by The New York Times as Beck “switched easily between two guises: the deadpan dispenser of brilliant semi-sequiturs and encyclopedic musical allusions – fuzz-toned garage-rock, synth-pop, slide-guitar blues, floating psychedelia – and the sustained, heartsick ballad singer of Sea Change. Though the band was live, the music embraced D.J. culture. Beck could, and often did, suddenly switch styles within a song as easily as dropping a needle.”
Prior to the July/August dates, Beck is teaming up with McSweeney’s and Pop-Up Magazine to present a night of live music and stories about music, inspired by his Song Reader, at San Francisco’s Davies Symphony Hall on May 20. Featuring writers, filmmakers, photographers, radio producers, artists, and special musical guests, the show was announced last week, and tickets sold out instantly.
Beck Hansen’s Song Reader can purchased at http://store.beck.com/products/beck-hansens-song-reader-1.
The night prior, Beck will play a sold out one-off show at the Rio Theater in Santa Cruz.
Further performances, recordings, etc. will be announced if and when they are ready to be…
- May 19 Santa Cruz, CA — Rio Theater (SOLD OUT)
- May 20 San Francisco, CA — Song Reader event at Davies Symphony Hall (SOLD OUT)
- July 2 Paris, France – Days Off Festival at Cité de la Musique (special acoustic set) – on sale Tuesday, April 30
- July 27 Wantagh, NY – Americanarama at Nikon at Jones Beach Theater (special acoustic set) – on sale Saturday, May 4
- July 28 Newport, RI – Newport Folk Festival (special acoustic set) – on sale now
- August 2 Boston, MA – Bank of America Pavilion (full band/electric show) – on sale Friday, May 3
- August 4 Brooklyn, NY – Celebrate Brooklyn at Prospect Park (full band/electric show) – on sale Friday, May 10